- 3tsp Olive Oil
- 1kg Stewing Steak
- 2 Meat Stock Cubes
- 2tbsp Tomato Puree
- 1tsp Dried Thyme
- 440ml Stout (Guinness)
- Worcester Sauce
- Corn Flour
- Cold Water
- Puff Pastry ( pre rolled)
- Egg for egg wash
1. Lightly fry onions and garlic, finely chopped in 3 tbsp olive oil. Add 1kg cubed stewing steak and brown lightly.
2. Add 2 oxo cubes crumbled, 2 tbsp tomato puree, 1 tsp dried thyme, salt and pinch of pepper.
3. Cook covered simmering for 15-20 mins in its own juices. Then add a 440ml tin of Guinness (stout), (a good dash of Worcestershire sauce) stir well and simmer gently on low heat for 1-1 1/4hours (between one and one hour and a quarter) until meat is really tender.
4. At the end of cooking time add 1-2tbsp of cornflour dissolved in some cold water, stirring in well to thicken sauce. Pour meat with sauce into an ovenproof dish and cover with puff pastry.
5. Brush with eggwash and bake pastry in a pre-heated oven @ 180C for approx 20 mins or until pastry is golden brown!!
Serve with mash, roast potatoes or chips plus your choice of veg!! Bon-Appetite!!
Recipe by Dorothy Victory Alman