An adapted family favourite of mine is vegan cottage pie. Rich gravy, mashed potatoes and oh-so-irresistible melted cheese. We’ve swapped out the meat to give you a mouthwatering pie that you can all dig into together. Cheap and cheerful.
You don’t have to stick to a fully vegan recipe, this can easily be adapted so that it’s simply vegetarian. Use some gravy granules and for a ticker sauce and any vegetables you have lying around. Let’s avoid food waste.
What would you add to it?
Vegan Cottage Pie
- 400 g jar of lentils
- 2 vegetable stock cubes
- 1 bag frozen mixed vegetables or any seasonal vegetables
- 4 large potatoes
- Vegan cheese
- Vegan butter
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp paprika
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC
- Dice the potatoes into quarters and place them in a saucepan with salt and covered in water. Leave these over a medium heat to boil until soft and tender.
- Prepare the filling in a seprate pan, placing it over a medium heat and adding a dollop of vegan butter. Once melted, add the frozen vegetables. Leave these to fry while you drain and rinse the lentils.
- Once the vegetables have defrosted, add the lentils, vegetable stock, thyme, paprika, and top with about 50 – 100ml of water. Stir and let it simmer until the flavours combine and the ingredients soften completely.
- Once the potatoes are ready, drain them and add them back into the saucepan, add 2 tablespoons of vegan butter and mash until creamy. If you feel they need to be creamier add some more butter or even nut milk.
- Now grab a medium-sized oven dish and lay out the ingredients. First the lentil and vegetable mixture and then the potatoes on top. Spread them out with a fork and cover with grated vegan cheese.
- Transfer the dish to the oven and grill under a medium heat until the cheese melts and the top of the potatoes go golden and crisp.