Making your own caramel may seem a little daunting, especially the process of melting sugar without burning it – let alone trying to make a vegan fudge caramel without cream! Luckily, I’ve cracked the caramel code for you; this recipe is sure to put a smile on your face. Use the caramel to drizzle on anything you want – fulfil your caramel dreams.
Vegan Fudge Caramel
- 60 g coconut oil
- 45 g maple syrup
- 2 tbsp vegan butter
- 200 g light brown sugar
- 100 ml coconut cream
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 vanilla pod or vanilla essence
- Warm up your coconut oil in a small saucepan over a low heat and combine it with the maple syrup. Add in the vegan butter and light brown sugar and stir this continuously until the ingredients heat up, melt and combine.
- When the mixture has combined and the sugar starts to pull away from the pan, add in the coconut milk and continue to stir. Bring it to a fast boil then remove from the heat and stir until cooler.
- If you want a fancier caramel with a bit more ‘oomph’ then sneak in some salt, cinnamon or the inside of a vanilla pod. Just stir this into the mixture and you’re done.
- This may stiffen when it cools because of the coconut oil, so just heat it up for a few seconds before you use it until you have a viscous mixture once again.