- 500G deboned drumsticks (deshuesados)
- 6 almonds, (I used M&S Roasted and Salted Almonds, they gave the sauce a more intense flavour but ordinary skins on almonds will do)
- 1 chopped onion,
- 2 cloves garlic,
- 1 packet yellow colouring powder,
- 1 glass sherry or wine,
- half teaspoon cinnamon (optional but I like it)
- 1 teaspoon M&S Chilli pesto (optional)
- 1 bay leaf,
- water with chicken bouillon cube enough to cover the chicken in the casserole.
1 Fry chopped onion and chopped garlic in a little olive oil until lightly browned.
2 Add the drumstick pieces and brown on all sides. Now add the stock and the wine and the bayleaf.
3 Add the cinnamon and the chilli pesto (you may omit these 2 but they do give a lovely flavour to the casserole) Bring to the boil and add the saffron or yellow colouring. (add more water if needed to cover the chicken) and simmer for about 10 minutes then you add the defrosted peas (M&Spencer) and simmer for another 10 minutes until tender.
4 In a separate pan fry the almonds in a little olive oil on both sides. Take out and press with a pestle in the mortar until crushed then add the crushed almonds to the casserole, mix thoroughly so that the sauce thickens and absorbs the almond flavour.
Recipe by Ana Maria Morro