- 1 dozen eggs,
- 400 grams sugar,
- 200 ml. water,
- a piece of lemon zest,
- 1 cinnamon stick,
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Essence,
- Icing sugar.
Enough for 22 Pieces
1. Make a syrup with the sugar, water, lemon rind and cinnamon. Boil for 5 minutes and cover with a plate so that the aroma is concentrated. Leave to cool.
2. Meanwhile separate the egg yolks from the whites. Beat them gently and sieve them so that mixture is smooth. When the syrup has cooled down start adding little by little to the beaten eggs.
3. Add 1 teaspoon Vanilla Essence.
4. When syrup and eggs are mixed together then return to a pan and gently heat, stirring until the mixture has thickened and almost comes off the sides of the pan. This has to cool down and it is best to put inside the fridge for at least 4 hours or overnight.
5. Hours later scoop a teaspoon of the mixture and roll in icing sugar until all the mixture has been used and place in paper cases. Cover them and place them in the fridge for a few hours to harden a bit.
I noticed that the Yemitas tasted much nicer after 2 days in the fridge, consistency was better and the flavour was delicious
Recipe by Ana Maria Morro