- 175g Plain Flour
- 1tsp Baking Powder
- half a tsp Salt
- half a tsp Bicarbonate of soda
- 3 Large eggs
- 1tsp Vanilla extract
- 175g butter – softened
- 175g sugar
- zest and juice of 1 large lemon
- 250g Icing Sugar
- 2 -3 tbsp Whole Milk
- 2 tbsp Freshly Squeezed Lemon Juice
Preheat oven to 180C
1. Begin by placing the first 4 ingredients in a small bowl. In a larger bowl mix the rest of the ingredients and whisk together using an electric hand mixer for approximately 5 minutes.
2. Sift in the first 4 ingredients and mix until all is well combined. Pour cake batter into a greased loaf tin and bake in a pre-heated oven at 180C or 160C in a fan-assisted oven. Each oven may vary slightly.
3. Bake for 30 – 45 minutes or until you can insert a knife or skewer in the cake and find it comes out clean.
4. When ready, remove the cake from the oven and allow it to rest in the tin for 5 minutes before turning onto a wire rack to cool completely.
5. Make the lemon icing by mixing together the ingredients and drizzle on top of the cake. Allow the icing to set.
Recipe by Deborah Garcia