- Dripping or oil, for frying
- 400g plain flour, put in the freezer for 15 minutes before using
- 3tsp baking powder
- 550ml very cold beer
- 4 pieces of sustainable white fish (I used haddock) I had enough batter for 6 portions of fish
1. Heat the oil in a deep fryer or chip pan.
2. Chill the flour in the fridge for about 30 minutes.
3. Whisk the baking powder into the chilled flour, along with ½ tsp salt, black pepper and some garlic salt and then quickly whisk in the cold beer until you have a thick paste. This needs to be done just before you cook the fish.
3. Position the bowl next to the fryer or pan. Have a plate lined with kitchen paper ready. Dip your fish into the batter and then carefully lower it into the hot fat, and agitate the frying basket to prevent the fish sticking to it.
4. Do this with one or two pieces at a time- don’t overcrowd the fryer.. Cook the fish for about 4–6 minutes, depending on size, it should be crisp and golden. Lift out of the fat and drain on kitchen paper then serve immediately.
Recipe by Ana Maria Morro